Prevention is an important part of restorative dentistry. Besides repairing a tooth, your restoration should also prevent further injury or infection from claiming more of the tooth’s structure. Modern dental crowns are durable restorations that copy the size and shape of natural teeth. They are placed over teeth that have been cracked, fractured, worn down, or have received a large tooth filling or root canal therapy.
Advantages of Modern Dental Crowns
Placing a dental crown over a compromised tooth serves several purposes, such as protecting the weakened tooth from bite-pressure and improving the tooth’s appearance. Made from porcelain or zirconia (a stronger variation of dental ceramic), your dental crown will be nearly indistinguishable from your healthy, natural teeth. Other advantages of modern dental crowns include:
- They can restore your bite-function by fortifying the tooth.
- They produce little friction against opposing teeth.
- You can receive your crown in a single visit with same-day CEREC technology.
- They can support a dental bridge, or can be supported by a dental implant, to replace one or more lost teeth.
- You might also receive a partial crown (inlay or onlay) if your tooth is damaged but does not require a full crown.
A custom dental crown can rejuvenate your smile in more ways than one, depending on your specific needs. Find out if one is right for you by speaking with our dental experts! Schedule a visit by calling our Spring, TX, dentist’s office near you!